All organisations engaging people in to work with children and young people must have robust and transparent recruitment procedures in place to ensure children, young people and vulnerable adults are safeguarded and they should be familiar with the Local Safeguarding Children Board policies and procedures.
Before recruiting staff (whether paid or unpaid), the following should be considered:
The application process should include the organisations commitment to safeguarding in, for example, the Job Description and any other documentation.
Thorough checks should be made of an applicant’s identity, work history and references including any gaps in time;
- Proof of qualifications should be obtained;
- Checks with the Disclosure and Barring Service should be undertaken;
- References should be obtained and verified;
- A probationary period and supervision of the person should take place;
- This is not an exhaustive list but a framework for sound recruitment